Monday, 2 January 2012

New Digs or Stalag 60

Today I moved into my flat (it's called a suite here) downtown in Toronto. I managed to get myself a room in the infamous Graduate House, which has been described as an architectural controversy. The building is a utilitarian concrete structure that has been sexed up with lots of glass on the exterior.

There are a variety of suites in the building. Mine is a four bedroom flat spread over two floors with all the bedrooms upstairs, along with a full bathroom and a separate shower. Downstairs is the kitchen and lounge. Area wise, it doesn't feel too different from any of the houses I've lived in when in Durham, although it is lacking a bit on the living/common areas.

I thought I'd include a few snaps so you can get an idea of the place.

Here's my bedroom. Note the concrete wall on the right.

Bed and bookcase. There's plenty of storage under the bed and the bookcase is quite liberal (in storage capacity, not content).
The desk, or slave station. The space-age metallic blinds cover the window, which has a smoked-glass section that extends down to the floor. Even with such a large window, the building gives an impression of cramped and dark accommodation that affords no light to its poor inhabitants. Note the concrete wall on the left.

Downstairs, this is the door to the corridor. Plenty of room for shoes. Oh, and another concrete wall.


The kitchen, with mammoth Canadian fridge just to the right. The cooker is quite clean (I don't think anyone has ever used the oven), and from what I gather from the one other soul I've met so far, I don't think much cooking happens in this flat. I'll be changing that.

So I've moved in and replaced someone who has just moved out. As mentioned, I've only met one of my flatmates so far, and there was very little discourse. Hopefully I'll get to know the other guys soon enough!

If you want my new address, just comment and I'll send you an e-mail or just send a message on facebook.

Happy New Year, and all that.

1 comment:

  1. Heya Darius I'm sure it won't be long before the suite has a more homely feel as your flatmates smell your cooking wafting up the stairs! What is the location like? Close to town, library and church? Please can we have your address?
    Thanks, Rob and Becky :)

    ReplyDelete