In February, Ontarians have the joy of a recently created bank holiday called ‘Family Day’. Although arbitrary and lacking in established tradition, people have taken to this long weekend as if Family Day has been a century old tradition. For this long weekend, I went up to Calabogie, near Ottawa, to spend time with family at my uncle’s cottage.
My parents brought their cross country skis and I ended up renting a pair and heading out into the woods with my dad. The last time I went XC skiing was over 12 years ago, when I last lived in Canada. The trails were extremely icy, which meant that even the smallest of hills were quite treacherous. The challenge with XC skis is that they are very narrow, compared to downhill skis. This makes turning and balancing when going down even some of the most innocent looking hills quite a challenge. As a result, I ended up at the bottom of a few hills with skis in the air!
The ‘old man’ on skis.
Caught ‘at speed’ on camera!
Apart from skiing, I spent a lot of time playing cards and board games with my cousins and just spending time with family, as one should.
Every Canadian family has a pet wolf.
No comments:
Post a Comment