Thursday, 17 November 2011

Bath and a summary of the last few weeks

So I'm in Bath at the moment for my housemate Tom's wedding. Tom has kindly let me live with him in his house just outside of Durham before he gets married. Timing is just perfect as Tom and his wife return from honeymoon just after I leave.


The Royal Crescent, Bath

Up until my trip down to Bath, I have been running around doing several things.

Firstly, I have finished writing my M.Sc. thesis, which was submitted at the beginning of November. It's been a great relief to see that done, which means that I can now start my Ph.D. in Toronto (assuming I pass).

In my now seemingly free time, I've been hanging out in the new Starbucks in Durham. From the day I first I arrived, I remember saying to myself, 'Durham's great, but it could use a Starbucks'. So, just as I leave, my wish has come true. It's been a fantastic addition to the city and it has been well received by the population. Very rarely have I been in there when it's not busy. My favourite (and saddest) part is that I'm now well known by the staff that I don't even need to order my coffee. I just walk to the counter and it's already waiting for me! I could go on and on singing their praises, but I'm not getting paid to do so, so I won't.

I've also been spending time on Wednesdays doing MTS (Ministry Training Scheme) with the associates at Christchurch Durham. It's been a fantastic time in God's Word and I've learnt so much. Through it I've had the opportunity to write and give a sermon, and get lot's of helpful feedback on it. I've also had opportunities to explain the gospel to students, which are experiences I will value for going back to Canada.

Apart from spending time in Durham, I had the joy of travelling down south, and not just to Bath. A couple weeks prior, my friends Goody (Andrew) and Laura were married in Kent. Most of Durham's students seem to come from London or Kent, and it was finally good to see where they were coming from. It's a far way away though, but this meant quality time on the road with my friends Joel & Naomi, and Kate.

On this long car journey, I had the privilege of being DJ. Towards the end of the trip, Joel was getting a bit sleepy behind the wheel, so my solution was to put on some lively music. Naturally, I chose ABBA. Everyone in the car put on a smile and started singing and dancing to the music (as much as one can whilst restrained by seatbelts). Everyone, that is, except Kate.

Kate has a strange aversion--or rather extreme dislike of the fantastic Sweedish four. I won't claim to be a super-fan myself, but I never thought anyone could be so against ABBA. It was really sad, to be perfectly honest, but I knew it could be cured. But medicine, as America shows and the lack of funding in the NHS has proven, has a price. The only way I could convince Kate to listen to ABBA would be at a cost to myself. By the end of the trip, I had made a deal with Miss Kate that I would read a Jane Austen novel if she would spend a week listening to ABBA. (For those who don't know, I have a similar aversion to Austen's work as Kate does to ABBA, except that mine has solid grounds on which it is based i.e. all the books are the same!)

One week later, I had finished reading Persuasion and Kate had found that one ABBA song had grown on her. Success! I have to add, I did quite enjoy Persuasion, but my opinion of Austen hasn't changed. It was also an excellent novel to read as it set me up for my time in Bath, where I first started writing this post.

And now, Tom and Lorna are married, and I'm left in Durham on my own. I leave this Friday to visit some friends around the country before taking that final flight.

Expect many more blog updates once I have landed and start re-exploring my home and native land!

No comments:

Post a Comment