It started to hit me when I read a very nice letter from my friends Joel and Naomi this morning. It reminded me of all the fun times I've had here in Durham, and particularly in the last few years. It also reminded me of the reality that I would be leaving a whole family behind in Durham. I became a Christian when I was an undergraduate, but it wasn't until the last two years that I really got stuck in at church. I've had relationships grow at a rate I've never seen before in my life or anywhere else in just the last 14 months, which is a true testament to the love of Christ, the transforming power of his Spirit, and what church family is. But that has also made it really hard to leave.
Today was also the last time I will have seen many people in this life. The goodbyes started with lunch with my old housemates Rob and James. It was really encouraging to meet up with them and share food and prayers. They've been such a great help to me the last year and really made me appreciate the value of good housemates (I mean that in every positive sense!).
Afterwards it was the final session of MTS, where I said goodbye to many a good friend like Louise, Nat, Ben, and Tom before heading off to set-up for what I knew would be a killer Bible study. It was sad to say goodbye to my group, and tearful to say goodbye to all my friends at TNT. It's sad when things come to an end, and even harder to deal with when it comes all at once. It's also really hard to leave family, especially as they're the ones who knew what you were like and can see what you've become. But I am encouraged that there is a new family waiting for me in Toronto and I can't wait to meet them!
Before I continue on a downward spiral of sadness, I think it would be best if I just stop writing now. But I just want to say a massive 'Thank You!' and 'So Long!' to everyone who has supported me at Christchurch over the last years and whom I didn't get a chance to say goodbye tonight.
No comments:
Post a Comment